Sunday, February 21, 2010

City Deli--San Diego

I'm going to try to include more restaurant reviews in my blog, starting here.

Today, we visited the City Deli on University Ave in San Diego, after I researched local deli options. I had a hankering for a sandwich on rye with a good sour pickle. Sure enough, the restaurant kept a bucket of whole sour pickles on every table to help yourself. My 2 year old and I enjoyed one right away. We were sat in a cute half-circle booth and promptly had glasses of water and coloring materials for my son.

I ordered a patty melt on rye with Swiss cheese and a side of cole slaw. My husband got the grilled Reuben with slaw and fries. We both had giant unsweetened iced teas. We ordered mac and cheese for my son, with a side of sliced tomato. To kill time while waiting the 10 minutes for our food, we strolled by the pastry counter to consider dessert. There were many choices, from cakes and pies to creme brulee and cannolis. My husband later chose the lemon/coconut cake, which he said was a huge slab of sugary goodness, and my son got a frosted cookie. We all enjoyed what we had for lunch, and my deli craving was satisfied.

The City Diner is a nice little city joint, with friendly and attentive service. The food seemed a little over priced, but the quality was decent enough. I imagine making many items in house carries its extra cost so I didn't mind paying the extra bucks. I'm not sure I would rush back for more, but I'm glad I experienced the City Diner firsthand.

No comments:

Post a Comment