Tuesday, June 5, 2012

It's Summer CSA Season!

I cannot tell you how excited I was to pick up our first CSA share of the summer today from Heron Pond Farm (www.heronpondfarm.com)! Just the idea of the summer produce season keeps me going through March and April. I'm a seasonal food fanatic, and as a New Englander, that means I eat best from June to November, starting today.

My super CSA share today included:

A generous bag of Swiss Chard
Another generous bag of Baby Kale
3 onions
2 lbs of potatoes
1 head of beautiful Red Leaf Lettuce
1 quart of ripely red STRAWBERRIES!

I didn't think the farm's strawberry crop was ready yet, so that was a terrific surprise! These babies are small and sweet, bursting with juice. I can only imagine the berries that are yet to come after this soaking of a rain and a week or so of sunshine!

I'll try to photograph the CSA shares more in the future. Tonight, we're digging right into the Swiss Chard (sauteed with olive oil, garlic and crumbled Ritz crackers, finished with freshly grated parmesan cheese).

No comments:

Post a Comment