Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Top 10 Tips for Eating Healthy

While reconnecting with an old friend recently, we happened upon the subject of my healthier lifestyle. My friend was interested in hearing what helped me lose weight, and I rattled off a few tried-and-true methods I regularly use to keep my weight in check. Since our conversation, I've recalled other things I should have mentioned that might be more relevant. So I'm attempting here to list what are my Top 10 Tips for Eating Healthy after further consideration and mental debate.

1. Eat when you are hungry--First, you must differentiate between being hungry or otherwise unsatisfied. Once you accomplish that, I don't think you should just eat a meal because it is mealtime. Sometimes, you may have a bigger lunch and not be hungry at 5-6 p.m. In which cases getting in some exercise before dinner might be more what your body is craving. Then, you'll have a more revved up metabolism which will be helpful to burn off a balanced dinner, even if it's at 8 p.m.

2. Eat off a smaller plate--This is an everyday rule for me. At my height of 5' 2", my body does not require the same caloric needs of someone who is much taller (unless I'm burning 'mad' calories hiking or something else similarly strenuous). I've found that if I stick to a small plate, I'm more in control of the portions and calories. For example, if I'm having a sandwich for lunch, I usually only use one piece of bread folded in half, with a small portion of a vegetable-based side dish. This fits perfectly--and fills me up without weighing me down.

3. Skip the cheese--While we're talking sandwiches, I think many people are so used to putting cheese on their sandwiches that it feels weird not to, but I'm suggesting you just say "no" to the fattening, artery-clogging addition. After a while, you'll hardly miss it at all, and you can instead get a good burst of extra flavor from veggies, like arugula and tomatoes (in season, of course). If you must have cheese on pasta or pizza night, grate your own Parmesan, Asiago or Romano to control the portion.

4. Eat for balance throughout the day--I rarely eat bread or starch-laden meals back-to-back. If I choose to have a sandwich for lunch, I won't have pizza for supper. Or, if I have pasta for dinner, I won't have toast with breakfast. This forces me to think of meals with greater protein and veggie compositions.



5. Don't eat between meals--You should not need to snack, unless you are exercising a lot and your metabolism is in high gear. That being said, everyone needs a little pick-me-up now and then so I recommend this be a whole food, such as a small portion of nuts, seeds, fruit or veggies.

6. Keep protein portions small--Most people only require 3-4 ounces of protein in each meal, and this generally works out to be the size of a deck of cards or your closed fist. Anything more than you need is excess calories. This means that the giant chicken breast served at your local restaurant is probably 2-4 servings in most cases and can be split among a couple meals.

7. Feature two or more vegetables at dinner--You can still eat meat, but by serving a variety of vegetables with dinner you are more likely to eat more veggies. Having this as 'rule' could also generate a little more creativity as you get more comfortable cooking with veggies and different seasonings. Veggie-heavy, go-to meals for us are big salads, ratatouille, Asian stir fry, pasta primavera, hearty soup, or pizza with whole wheat crust (and very light cheese).

8. Eat off your plate--For a long time, I was snacking off of my son's plates if he didn't finish his food, mostly because I hate to waste anything. I thought these small tastes were nominal, but in reality these were my most calorie-laden bites of the day because he was eating such things as hot dogs, chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese and some popular children snacks that are mostly sugar. (Hey, he was a fussy eater.) The extra calories were easily 100-250 a day when I really started thinking about it, and that can make all the difference when trying to lose a few pounds.

9. Switch to olive oil and canola oil--Butter is bad for you, and margarine isn't any better. If you must cook with some fat (which we must do, of course), use an oil that is actually beneficial to your health because of its monounsaturated fats. Olive oil is perfect for anything not being cooked at a high heat (because it will burn) and adds a distinctive flavor to any dish. Canola oil is perfect for high-heat roasting or grilling, as well as frying (if you must).

10. Treat yourself--Deprivation isn't a good lifestyle, so why should it be part of yours? If sweets are your thing, have a small piece of something delicious a couple times a week, but keep the rest of your daily diet in check to offset the spike in sugar and/or fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment